Thursday, March 6, 2008

Carpool Theives


As I sit in traffic EVERY day, I watch all the carpool lane cheaters go past me. Over that last few months, I have just wanted to sit there with a camera and take pictures of every cheater's license plate and send it to the CHP. I realize, of course, that simply sending a picture the CHP will not punish any of the cheaters, but it might help them realize that a MILLION people along I-80 in Berkeley/Emryville are cheaters! I also made two generalizations today thinking how stupid the people are for cheating.
1. The people were usually in nice/tricked out cars (I saw a Porsche Boxter, like 12 Escalades, a few Mercedes E-class, and the "Oakland" thugs with their 22's). The generalization I made about this group was the "Elite." They must assume that they are so important that they can float down the carpool lane, without qualifying for the carpool status. They must also assume that they are in a greater "hurry" to get home than the other 25,000 of us stuck in the 5 lanes to the right of their special "Elite" lane. I was thinking how my buddy Tom would love to sit on one of the overpasses and snipe people's tires, in order to teach them a lesson. Just thinking of all the "Elite" with flat tires helped me feel better.
2. The second generalization is "white-trash", "ghetto" and "illiterate." This second group is special. I think I decided that this group just couldn't read the signs, or that the signs were not in their native language and so it must not apply to them. Their cars were a collection of cars that have been revived from the dump, or stolen from the front yard of a neighbor who has kept the car up on blocks for the last 15 years. This pathetic group made me think how glad I am to have an education and drive decent cars.
I would love to hear from any of you "bloggies" about your carpool experiences. I hope this somehow helps brighten your traffic frustrations! Happy Thursday to you. With love, Lee.

No comments: