I told myself that this needed to be written up before Jane turned one month.
Well, today is that day. And I made my goal!
This is more for me. (It's a LONG one.)
But I thought I would post it for those that care.
Pregnancy:
I didn't blog much about this pregnancy (other then a few pictures) mostly because there was not much to report. I have been blessed with easy going pregnancies, and know that there are so many people out there who get sick and have a lot harder time, so I didn't feel like there was much to report on an upset stomach.Truth be told my stomach did get a little upset this go around. I never felt sick with Zac, but this time around at the end of the first trimester I started to feel "not so hot" at night. Nothing that was making me throw up or anything...but just an unhappy stomach. It didn't last too long.
But my bladder was feeling the weight of baby Jane early on this time. I have never had to go to the bathroom so much! I love to drink water at night...but I had to stop because it was just getting ridiculous the amount of sleep I was loosing!
I ran (4-5 miles about 5-6 days a week) until about 35 weeks, where I thought it was best to stop. Not because it was hurting or anything, but mostly because I felt like people were looking at me thinking, "she really should not be running." And they were probably right. So I did the elliptical for the last month. It felt good to continue working out everyday.
No heartburn, no swelling, no contractions, pretty boring I tell you.
I'm glad to no longer be pregnant (and to have an inny belly button!). It is not one of my favorite things. But the miracle that comes out of it is worth it!
Delivery:
I honestly had been dreading the day I would deliver another baby for over two years (since the day I had Zac). But I knew we would have more children, so there really was no point in "putting off having more kids." I knew I would just continue to worry and build up more fear about what would happen with the next child the longer we waited. We decided two years was a good space for our next...and two years and two weeks is what it was!
We went back and forth about a VBAC and doing another C-section. Honestly I wanted to try a VBAC (I feel like I did some things wrong with Zac that I would have loved another chance), but the worry that I would go through labor all over again, and have to do another C-section anyways, AND to put my body through all of that just was not worth it. After praying and going back and forth a repeat C-section is what we decided was best.
We didn't set the date until about 2 weeks before. Basically it was the only day and time open for us. So, the 18th at 12:30 was the big day.
39 Weeks 3 days
(click here to see a few days before Zac was born)
To tell the truth, I was so much more calm for this delivery than with Zac's. I was a mess even before we went into the hospital to get induced with him. I guess two years of worrying made it so the actual day not that bad. And surprisingly I slept good the night before.
The morning of the 18th Lee took Zac out on a run. We all got ready packed a few last minute things. Lee gave me a blessing. And we headed over to Lee's parents to drop off Zac.
Zac with is backpack all ready to go
to Grandpa and Grandma's house!
He wanted a tie on like daddy had on
when I got a blessing. I guess he wore most of the day!
Family of three.
Before hand getting everything checked out.
At around 12:30 they had me walk into the operating room. Let me tell you walking into your operation is the weirdest thing! You can see everything around you. You see all the tools and all the different people. And everyone just acts like nothing is a big deal. While I was thinking, "I'm about to get cut open!" They had music playing and they were all talking to each other about whatever. The anesthesiologist was supper nice. I was so glad to have him. He is actually the one who talks to you the entire sugary and makes sure that you are comfortable.
Again, I was surprised I was doing so well. It was not until I was going to get the spinal shot that I started getting nervous. (My nerves make me shake.) And he had only put the numbing stuff on my back! Oh, and I wanted to note that I had my eyes closed almost the entire time I was in the operating room. I did not want to see anything around me! My doctor came in as soon as I was numb and next thing you know they were calling for Lee to come in. I opened my eyes to say hi to Lee and then I left them shut (I did warn Lee that I was going to keep them closed.)!
Things went way better for the surgery this time. Last time they were having a hard time getting me numb and I was shaking like crazy. This time I don't even know when they did the cut. And I could feel them doing something, but next thing I knew the anesthesiologist was telling me we were about to see a baby. I didn't even know they had started! And it was true. Next thing I know I hear something about hair and then heard a cry and saw a little baby girl!
They showed her to us. She was so cute! With hair! They placed her on the table to get her stats. I could just see her tiny (or big) feet. They weighed her and as soon as they gave her the shot she stopped crying. It was totally a different experience. With Zac they rushed him out of the surgery room and Lee followed with him. This time both Lee and Jane stayed in the room while they finished things up with me. And afterwards we talked with the doctor and even got some pictures.
Again, I was surprised I was doing so well. It was not until I was going to get the spinal shot that I started getting nervous. (My nerves make me shake.) And he had only put the numbing stuff on my back! Oh, and I wanted to note that I had my eyes closed almost the entire time I was in the operating room. I did not want to see anything around me! My doctor came in as soon as I was numb and next thing you know they were calling for Lee to come in. I opened my eyes to say hi to Lee and then I left them shut (I did warn Lee that I was going to keep them closed.)!
Things went way better for the surgery this time. Last time they were having a hard time getting me numb and I was shaking like crazy. This time I don't even know when they did the cut. And I could feel them doing something, but next thing I knew the anesthesiologist was telling me we were about to see a baby. I didn't even know they had started! And it was true. Next thing I know I hear something about hair and then heard a cry and saw a little baby girl!
They showed her to us. She was so cute! With hair! They placed her on the table to get her stats. I could just see her tiny (or big) feet. They weighed her and as soon as they gave her the shot she stopped crying. It was totally a different experience. With Zac they rushed him out of the surgery room and Lee followed with him. This time both Lee and Jane stayed in the room while they finished things up with me. And afterwards we talked with the doctor and even got some pictures.
Dr. Dawkins, our doctor.
This recovery was 100% better then last time. I think that not ending up in the ICU made a big difference. :) I had Jane at 12:58pm and by midnight I was getting up and walking some. I took very little pain medicine in the hospital. I thought the Motrin that I did take was a really strong medication. Ha. It wasn't until the 3rd day when I was reading about the medications and the levels - I basically was taking Advil. I was wondering why they always asked if I wanted something stronger. But thankfully I felt really good. I did stay with a liquid diet for a couple of days just to keep my stomach at ease.
Nursing was a lot harder this go around. Zac came out wanting to eat (and probably has not stopped) and Jane was a struggle. With a lot of help from about four different nurses by the time we left Jane had figured things out. But that was a painful experience. More then the surgery I would say!
Also, Jane was a champ sleeper. Zac was not good at sleeping. And if he did he only wanted to be in your arms. She actually would sleep in the "crib" and was really good at sleeping all the time. Who knew that newborns slept?
It really was nice being with Lee the entire time in the hospital. With Zac he was back and forth from the ICU(me) to labor and delivery(Zac). It was SO nice to have us all three together. And I loved having him there to change all the diapers. I didn't change a diaper until the fourth day! He was so good. (And she had a million diapers to change!) He really is so good with babies. We are lucky to have him.
Home Recovery:
I felt great coming home. I really only took pain medicine the first couple of days just in the morning and night. More to be cautious then anything.
I was able to get up and down from sitting on the floor easily. And getting in and out of bed was totally fine. (Something that with Zac was even hard!) Really, I had no pain. Thank goodness!
The HARDEST thing was not being able to lift Zac for the two weeks!! I was glad to have Ann here to help him get in/out his high chair, in/out of bed, in/out of the tub, etc. It was also hard to really discipline during those two weeks. With still recovering and not being able to lift him, I was not as strict on things. He was getting his way a lot.
Thanks to Jane sleeping lots, Zac has gotten a lot more attention then I thought he would get. Everyday he got/gets lots of one on one time and she is pretty content all day. And with books, toys, and sometimes a show feedings are not too bad. And we are still able to get out to the park and walks everyday...something that Zac needs or we ALL go insane!
Having two kids has been an adjustment, but we are LOVING having Jane in our family. Zac adores her and so do we.
2 comments:
I read the whole thing! I am SO glad things went so smoothly this time. I was worried, having read/heard about what happened with Zachary. Glad everyone is happy and healthy!
totally enjoyed reading everything. Crazy all of the opposites this time around. Glad she sleeps well - we are both lucky to be having relatively easy second babies so we can still spoil our firstborns quite a bit (they have no idea how good they have it! :) )
So glad it was much better this time.
Loved that you had your eyes shut :) That was totally me with Carter - I practically couldn't open my eyes, but that was probably partially due to the leftover sleeping medication they had given me hours earlier. haha.
Post a Comment